What's happening with New Manchester Walks
“TRUE FAITH” – Ian Curtis-Joy Division tours during the Art Gallery exhibition
New Manchester Walks is excited to announce that we are hosting a series of walks – Ian Curtis’s Manchester – which we are running during the Art Gallery’s summer Joy Division exhibition, “True Faith”, in collaboration with the gallery.
There will be three dates for tours, starting at the Art Gallery entrance:
* Thu 3 August, 5.30pm.
* Thu 10 August, 5.30pm.
* Thu 24 August, 5.30pm.
Please book with eventbrite by pressing “Continue Reading” and following the link.
DISCOVER MANCHESTER – DAILY 1.30pm TOUR WITH AN OFFICIAL EXPERT GUIDE
Visitors, tourists, locals! Don’t be taken in by the so-called free tour of Manchester that isn’t really free and is taken by a rogue guide unaccountable to the council or tourist board.
Come round Manchester with an official guide and see the city’s great sights and important sites – the Town Hall, Art Gallery, John Rylands Library, Free Trade Hall, Chinatown and more – on this daily tour with an expert.
We start from the Visitor Centre at 1.30pm.
MANCHESTER TOWN HALL EXPERT TOUR: LATEST DATES
This is why our Town Hall tour is so good. New Manchester Walks’s Ed Glinert journeyed down to the capital to take out of the London Library two hefty volumes on Ford Madox Brown’s paintings. Books which aren’t available in Manchester and can’t be bought for love or money. So now we know the real stories behind the Town Hall Murals that so captivate our customers.
Here is some basic information about the Town Hall tour. The cost is £8, not £2.50 as some customers have strangely alleged, and that’s for a full tour involving the building’s history, its politics, statues, paintings and architecture. At £8 that is incredible value. £2.50 would diminish the product and undercut the agreed price of official Manchester tours. And no, we get no subsidy from the Town Hall for this tour.
Make sure you book your place, for the Town Hall will be closing for repairs for five years in January 2018.
Next tours: Choose a date and click the link.
* Mon 12 June, 10.30am. IT WAS SOLD OUT!
* Wed 28 June, 10.30am.
* Sun 2 July, 10.30am.
* Mon 3 July, 10.30am. This is mainly for customers who had booked for Tue 23 May, the day after the bomb, when the tour had to be cancelled. Some extra tickets should be released soon.
* Thu 6 July, 10.30am.
* Mon 10 July, 10.30am.
To book, press “Continue Reading” and use the link! * Sorry we can’t accept vouchers on this tour owing to the restrictions on numbers.
!!NEW!! MUSIC BUS TOURS (On the Road)
You’ve heard the songs, seen the groups, played the records…now visit the sights and hear the stories where Manchester music history was made on New Manchester Music Tours magic bus trip on the road…
Our set list
* The Hacienda * Salford Lads’ Club * The Ritz * The Cemetery Gates
* The BBC building where Paul failed the audition * The Boardwalk
* Free Trade Hall * “A rented room in Whalley Range” * Paul Heaton’s pub
* Strawberry Studios * Dry Bar * John Cooper Clarke’s Beasley Street
* Church of the Holy Name * Sifter’s record shop * The house where the Smiths were born * The original Factory Records HQ * Tony Wilson’s House.
* This is a 3-hour tour, starting from Albert Square opposite the Town Hall.
* Please book with eventbrite.
Sat 1 July, 10.00am.
Sat 5 Aug, 2.00pm.
Bank Holiday Mon 28 Aug, 2.30pm.
THE DE-LUXE MIDLAND HOTEL TOUR
The 4th of May has just passed. It was the date when Rolls and Royce are believed to have met in the Midland Hotel and decided to go into business together. What a great tale. Well, Ed Glinert has now done some serious research into this story and come up with some startling twists. This is just one of the reasons why our Midland Hotel tours are selling out fast.
Such has been the demand to hear Ed Glinert & co. tell the real story of the hotel: entertaining and enlightening anecdotes about Winston Churchill, John Barbirolli, Michael Collins, Alex Ferguson, Albert Tatlock, the King of Afghanistan, George Best, Johnny Cash, Michael Collins, Van Morrison, Theresa May…
• Sun 4 June, 2.30pm or 4pm (!SOLD OUT!)
• Sun 30 July, 2.30pm or 4pm. Tickets on sale with eventbrite.
• Sun 20 August, 2.30pm or 4pm. Tickets on sale with eventbrite.
Meet outside the hotel on Peter Street.
• Ideal for private tours for groups of around 20 people.
• Hear the history, soak in the sleek style and lounge in its luxurious locations. What a great way of spending two hours or so!
• To book, press “Continue Reading” and click on the date you require.
THE 7 WONDERS OF MANCHESTER: Read on for the perfect introduction to the city
Manchester was the first city of the industrial revolution, the city that shaped the modern world, the industrial strength city.
These are the most spectacular sights to be seen, the great treasures of the city, the 7 Wonders of Manchester, each linked with our tours.
BOOK A TALK WITH MANCHESTER’S WITTIEST PUBLIC SPEAKER: ED GLINERT
If you don’t fancy a walk, book us for a talk!
Ed Glinert is back giving talks with a monthly slot at Central Library and regular dates at Manchester Cathedral, so book him for your social club, U3A group, Probus set, National Trust outfit or local history society to give an illustrated talk on one of a huge variety of subjects:
* The Pankhursts.
* 10 Manchester Inventions That Shook the World.
* Royal Scandal Through the Ages.
* The Lonely Life of L. S. Lowry.
* Engels & Marx in Manchester.
* The Manchester Ship Canal.
* Alan Turing.
* The Fenian Hangings of 1867.
* The Secret History of Manchester.
* Manchester architecture (how the city’s main buildings stole their design from existing works).
COACH TOURS: BOOK A TOUR FOR YOUR GROUP
Now is the time for your social club, U3A group, Probus outfit, student body … to book a coach tour with our effortlessly entertaining guides.
There are so many to choose from:
* The Great Treasures of Manchester
* Wild and Wuthering West Yorkshire
* L. S. Lowry’s sights and settings of Salford
* The Beatles’ Liverpool
* Chi-Chi Cheshire
* The History of Manchester United…