What's happening with New Manchester Walks
THE ORIGINAL EXPERT MANCHESTER TOWN HALL TOUR: !!MORE DATES!!
We now have October and early November dates for the only expert de-luxe historical tour of Manchester Town Hall. These tours showcase the original and painstaking research we have conducted. For instance New Manchester Walks’s Ed Glinert journeyed down to the capital to take out of the London Library two hefty volumes on Ford Madox Brown’s paintings. Books which aren’t available in Manchester and can’t be bought for love or money. He and John Alker then forensically extracted all the best stories from them so that now we know the real stories behind the Town Hall Murals that so captivate our customers.
Next tours. Please book with eventbrite. Just press “Continue Reading”, find the date you’d like, and click the link:
* Mon 25 Sep, 11am-1pm. !!SOLD OUT!!
* Tue 26 Sep, 11am-1pm. !!SOLD OUT!!
* Wed 11 Oct, 5.30-7.30pm. !!SOLD OUT!!
* Mon 16 Oct, 2pm-4pm. !!SOLD OUT!!
* Thu 19 Oct, 11am-1pm. !!SOLD OUT!!
* Mon 23 Oct, 11am-1pm. Tickets available on eventbrite.
* Mon 23 Oct, 2pm-4pm. Tickets available on eventbrite.
* Wed 1 Nov, 11am-1pm. Tickets available on eventbrite.
THE MIDLAND HOTEL – THE ROLLS-ROYCE OF TOURS
Have you seen the magnificent new bar at the Midland, Manchester’s most famous hotel? It’s a work of art.
Have you seen the plaque at the front, with its key date, 4 May 1904? This was the date when Rolls and Royce are believed to have met in the Midland Hotel and decided to go into business together. What a great tale. Well, Ed Glinert has now done some serious research into this story and come up with some startling twists. This is just one of the reasons why our Midland Hotel tours are selling out fast.
So come with us to hear the real story of the hotel: entertaining, enlightening and expertly researched anecdotes about Winston Churchill, John Barbirolli, Michael Collins, Alex Ferguson, Albert Tatlock, the King of Afghanistan, George Best, Johnny Cash, Michael Collins, Van Morrison, Theresa May…
To book the tour (or tea and tour) press Continue Reading and click the date.
Sun 24 Sep…Sun 8 Oct…Sun 19 Nov…Sun 3 December…Sun 7 January…Sun 4 February…Sun 4 March…Sun 1 April (Easter Sunday).
• Book a private tour for your group! We catered for 60 very happy ladies from Wilmslow U3A recently.
!!NEW!! MANCHESTER MUSIC BUS TOURS (On the Road)
You’ve heard the songs, seen the groups, played the records…now visit the sights and hear the stories where Manchester music history was made on a music bus tour …
Our set list includes most of the following
* The Hacienda * Salford Lads’ Club * The Ritz * The Cemetery Gates
* The BBC building where Paul failed the audition * The Boardwalk
* Free Trade Hall * “A rented room in Whalley Range” * Paul Heaton’s pub
* Strawberry Studios * Dry Bar * John Cooper Clarke’s Beasley Street
* Church of the Holy Name * Sifter’s record shop * The house where the Smiths were born * The original Factory Records HQ * Tony Wilson’s House.
* This is a 3-hour tour, starting from Albert Square opposite the Town Hall.
Please book with eventbrite. Press “Continue Reading” and click.
* Sun 8 Oct, 11am.
* Sun 12 Nov, 11am.
STUDENT GROUPS, U3A, SOCIETIES, CLUBS, WORKS OUTFIT…book a private tour with us!
What better way to entertain your social club, historical society or corporate clients than with a private New Manchester Walks tour, talk, walk or canal cruise?
So, calling all members and organisers from the U3A, the National Trust, the WI, Probus, come, book an enthralling and entertaining tour with our enthralling and entertaining guides.
Competitive rates…knowledgeable guides. We have access to the largest group of guides in the North-West.
THE 7 WONDERS OF MANCHESTER: Read on for the perfect introduction to the city
Manchester was the first city of the industrial revolution, the city that shaped the modern world, the industrial strength city.
These are the most spectacular sights to be seen, the great treasures of the city, the 7 Wonders of Manchester, each linked with our tours.
BOOK A TALK WITH MANCHESTER’S WITTIEST PUBLIC SPEAKER: ED GLINERT
If you don’t fancy a walk, book us for a talk!
Ed Glinert is back giving talks with a monthly slot at Central Library and regular dates at Manchester Cathedral, so book him for your social club, U3A group, Probus set, National Trust outfit or local history society to give an illustrated talk on one of a huge variety of subjects:
* The Pankhursts.
* 10 Manchester Inventions That Shook the World.
* Royal Scandal Through the Ages.
* The Lonely Life of L. S. Lowry.
* Engels & Marx in Manchester.
* The Manchester Ship Canal.
* Alan Turing.
* The Fenian Hangings of 1867.
* The Secret History of Manchester.
* Manchester architecture (how the city’s main buildings stole their design from existing works).
COACH TOURS: BOOK A TOUR FOR YOUR GROUP
Now is the time for your social club, U3A group, Probus outfit, student body … to book a coach tour with our effortlessly entertaining guides.
There are so many to choose from:
* The Great Treasures of Manchester
* Wild and Wuthering West Yorkshire
* L. S. Lowry’s sights and settings of Salford
* The Beatles’ Liverpool
* Chi-Chi Cheshire
* The History of Manchester United…
THE MANCHESTER BEE
Why is the bee the official Manchester animal? In the aftermath of Manchester’s most awful post-war tragedy the bee is appearing throughout the city as a solidarity symbol and a tattoo choice. The bee is already evident throughout Manchester on municipal structures. In the Town Hall the platform outside the Great Hall is called The Bees and is decorated appropriately. The city’s coat of arms features a globe coated with bees. At Manchester Art Gallery the most famous and admired painting is Work by Ford Madox Brown. So how did it gain prominence?