What's happening with New Manchester Walks
The Manchester Bomb
We have all been devastated by the dreadful events at the Manchester Arena and are in a state of shock. We have cancelled all walks today, Tuesday 23 May, and tomorrow, Wednesday 24 May as a mark of respect.
At the moment it is difficult to see how the Angel Meadow walk can take place on Thursday evening as we might not be able to get into the area. There will be updates when we know but at the moment it looks as if it will have to be postponed until the next time (Thu 8 June, 6.30pm).
Pre-paid tickets for the Town Hall tour this morning (Tuesday) will be valid…
Music Tours (On the Road)
You’ve heard the songs, seen the groups, played the records…now visit the sights and hear the stories where Manchester music history was made on New Manchester Music Tours magic bus trip on the road…
Our set list
* The Hacienda * Salford Lads’ Club * The Ritz * The Cemetery Gates
* The BBC building where Paul failed the audition * The Boardwalk
* Free Trade Hall * “A rented room in Whalley Range” * Paul Heaton’s pub
* Strawberry Studios * Dry Bar * John Cooper Clarke’s Beasley Street
* Church of the Holy Name * Sifter’s record shop * The house where the Smiths were born * The original Factory Records HQ * Tony Wilson’s House
MANCHESTER TOWN HALL EXPERT TOUR: LATEST DATES
There seems to be some confusion about our Town Hall tours. The cost is £8, not £2.50, and that’s for a full tour involving the building’s history, its politics, statues, paintings and architecture. At £8 that is incredible value. £2.50 would diminish the product and undercut the agreed price of official Manchester tours.
As we can now only take 25 people max on our Town Hall tour, please pay in advance to avoid disappointment. The easiest way is to book with eventbrite and there are many links below. Alternatively, turn up early on the day!
Get booking people. You now have less than a year to be taken round Manchester Town Hall by the effortlessly entertaining guides of New Manchester Walks. This is a journey into the historical heart of the city’s greatest building, its architecture, paintings and politics.
* The cost of the main Town Hall tour is £8 and lasts two hours. The Pre-Raphaelites/Murals special is £10 and lasts 3 hours.
Dates, below. Booking has started on eventbrite.
* Sat 20 May, 11am.
* Tue 23 May, 11am.
* Wed 31 May, 11am. Pre-Raphaelites and Murals special.
* Mon 12 June, 10.30am.
JUNE & JULY WALKS NOW ON THE CALENDAR
Greetings fellow walkers. The summer programme is now nearly complete and the listings for June and early July are now up on the Calendar page.
We are running a Manchester Highlights tour – the big sights, the main sites – everyday at 1.30pm from the Visitor Centre from 1 June. This is a unique tour of the capital of the North run by professional qualified guides, so don’t be taken by the so-called free tour run by an unqualified “guide”.
THE 7 WONDERS OF MANCHESTER: Read on for the perfect introduction to the city
Manchester was the first city of the industrial revolution, the city that shaped the modern world, the industrial strength city.
These are the most spectacular sights to be seen, the great treasures of the city, the 7 Wonders of Manchester, each linked with our tours.
THE DE-LUXE MIDLAND HOTEL TOUR
It’s what you’ve been waiting for: Ed Glinert and co. taking you or your group, club, works outfit, society … around Manchester’s most famous hotel, stamping ground of Winston Churchill, Bob Dylan, Laurence Olivier, Michael Collins, Van Morrison, Theresa May…
• Sun 21 May, 1.30pm (!SOLD OUT!).
• Sun 4 June, 2.30pm or 4pm (!SOLD OUT!).
• Sun 30 July, 2.30pm or 4pm. Tickets on sale very soon.
Meet outside the hotel on Peter Street.
• Ideal for private tours for groups of around 20 people.
• Hear the history, soak in the sleek style and lounge in its luxurious locations. What a great way of spending two hours or so!
BOOK A TALK WITH MANCHESTER’S WITTIEST PUBLIC SPEAKER: ED GLINERT
If you don’t fancy a walk, book us for a talk!
Ed Glinert is back giving talks with a monthly slot at Central Library and regular dates at Manchester Cathedral, so book him for your social club, U3A group, Probus set, National Trust outfit or local history society to give an illustrated talk on one of a huge variety of subjects:
* The Pankhursts.
* 10 Manchester Inventions That Shook the World.
* Royal Scandal Through the Ages.
* The Lonely Life of L. S. Lowry.
* Engels & Marx in Manchester.
* The Manchester Ship Canal.
* Alan Turing.
* The Fenian Hangings of 1867.
* The Secret History of Manchester.
* Manchester architecture (how the city’s main buildings stole their design from existing works).
COACH TOURS: BOOK A TOUR FOR YOUR GROUP
Now is the time for your social club, U3A group, Probus outfit, student body … to book a coach tour with our effortlessly entertaining guides.
There are so many to choose from:
* The Great Treasures of Manchester
* Wild and Wuthering West Yorkshire
* L. S. Lowry’s sights and settings of Salford
* The Beatles’ Liverpool
* Chi-Chi Cheshire
* The History of Manchester United…