What's happening with New Manchester Walks
THE MANCHESTER BEE…AN EXPLANATION
Why the bee for Manchester?
In the aftermath of Manchester’s tragedy the bee is appearing throughout the city as a solidarity symbol and a tattoo choice. The bee – the worker bee – is already evident throughout Manchester on municipal structures. In the Town Hall the platform outside the Great Hall is called The Bees and is decorated appropriately. The city’s coat of arms features a globe coated with bees; worker bees. At Manchester Art Gallery the most famous and admired painting is Work by Ford Madox Brown.
So how did the bee first appear in prominence?
DISCOVER MANCHESTER – DAILY TOUR WITH AN OFFICIAL GUIDE AT 1.30pm
Visitors, tourists, locals! Don’t be taken in by the so-called free tour of Manchester that isn’t really free and is taken by a rogue guide unaccountable to the council or tourist board.
Come round Manchester with an official guide and see the city’s great sights and important sites – the Town Hall, Art Gallery, John Rylands Library, Free Trade Hall, Chinatown and more – on this daily tour with an expert.
We start from the Visitor Centre at 1.30pm.
MANCHESTER TOWN HALL EXPERT TOUR: LATEST DATES
Due to the Manchester attack we decided to postpone the Town Hall tour for Tue 23 May. Replacement dates will be arranged as soon as possible. We are hosting a Murals/Pre-Raphaelites special this Wednesday, meeting at the Art Gallery at 11am. This is a rare chance to have the Ford Madox Brown paintings explained in the kind of detail you never thought possible. Cost: £10.
There seems to be some confusion about our general Town Hall tour. The cost is £8, not £2.50, and that’s for a full tour involving the building’s history, its politics, statues, paintings and architecture. At £8 that is incredible value. £2.50 would diminish the product and undercut the agreed price of official Manchester tours. Get booking, people. You now have less than a year to be taken round Manchester Town Hall before it closes.
Dates, below. Booking with eventbrite.
* Wed 31 May, 11am. Pre-Raphaelites and Murals special.
* Mon 12 June, 10.30am.
!!NEW!! MUSIC BUS TOURS (On the Road)
You’ve heard the songs, seen the groups, played the records…now visit the sights and hear the stories where Manchester music history was made on New Manchester Music Tours magic bus trip on the road…
Our set list
* The Hacienda * Salford Lads’ Club * The Ritz * The Cemetery Gates
* The BBC building where Paul failed the audition * The Boardwalk
* Free Trade Hall * “A rented room in Whalley Range” * Paul Heaton’s pub
* Strawberry Studios * Dry Bar * John Cooper Clarke’s Beasley Street
* Church of the Holy Name * Sifter’s record shop * The house where the Smiths were born * The original Factory Records HQ * Tony Wilson’s House.
* This is a 3-hour tour, starting from Albert Square opposite the Town Hall.
* Please book with eventbrite.
Sat 1 July, 10.00am.
Sat 5 Aug, 2.00pm.
Bank Holiday Mon 28 Aug, 2.30pm.
THE DE-LUXE MIDLAND HOTEL TOUR
The 4th of May has just passed. It was the date when Rolls and Royce are believed to have met in the Midland Hotel and decided to go into business together. What a great tale. Well, Ed Glinert has now done some serious research into this story and come up with some startling twists. This is just one of the reasons why our Midland Hotel tours are selling out fast.
Such has been the demand to hear Ed Glinert & co. tell the real story of the hotel: entertaining and enlightening anecdotes about Winston Churchill, John Barbirolli, Michael Collins, Alex Ferguson, Albert Tatlock, the King of Afghanistan, George Best, Johnny Cash, Michael Collins, Van Morrison, Theresa May…
• Sun 4 June, 2.30pm or 4pm (!SOLD OUT!)
• Sun 30 July, 2.30pm or 4pm. Tickets on sale with eventbrite.
• Sun 20 August, 2.30pm or 4pm. Tickets on sale with eventbrite.
Meet outside the hotel on Peter Street.
• Ideal for private tours for groups of around 20 people.
• Hear the history, soak in the sleek style and lounge in its luxurious locations. What a great way of spending two hours or so!
• To book, press “Continue Reading” and click on the date you require.
THE 7 WONDERS OF MANCHESTER: Read on for the perfect introduction to the city
Manchester was the first city of the industrial revolution, the city that shaped the modern world, the industrial strength city.
These are the most spectacular sights to be seen, the great treasures of the city, the 7 Wonders of Manchester, each linked with our tours.
BOOK A TALK WITH MANCHESTER’S WITTIEST PUBLIC SPEAKER: ED GLINERT
If you don’t fancy a walk, book us for a talk!
Ed Glinert is back giving talks with a monthly slot at Central Library and regular dates at Manchester Cathedral, so book him for your social club, U3A group, Probus set, National Trust outfit or local history society to give an illustrated talk on one of a huge variety of subjects:
* The Pankhursts.
* 10 Manchester Inventions That Shook the World.
* Royal Scandal Through the Ages.
* The Lonely Life of L. S. Lowry.
* Engels & Marx in Manchester.
* The Manchester Ship Canal.
* Alan Turing.
* The Fenian Hangings of 1867.
* The Secret History of Manchester.
* Manchester architecture (how the city’s main buildings stole their design from existing works).
COACH TOURS: BOOK A TOUR FOR YOUR GROUP
Now is the time for your social club, U3A group, Probus outfit, student body … to book a coach tour with our effortlessly entertaining guides.
There are so many to choose from:
* The Great Treasures of Manchester
* Wild and Wuthering West Yorkshire
* L. S. Lowry’s sights and settings of Salford
* The Beatles’ Liverpool
* Chi-Chi Cheshire
* The History of Manchester United…