What's happening with New Manchester Walks
BIG PLUG IN THE MANCHESTER EVENING NEWS FOR NEW MANCHESTER WALKS
Last Saturday, 18 March, the Manchester Evening News ran a 2-page special, featuring our Ed Glinert, linked with the recent Sunday night TV programme SS GB, on the Nazis’ plans for Manchester and the horrific possibility, a rational fear during the War, of an SS GB Manchester.
Our next walk on the subject is on Saturday 20 May, 1.30pm at Victoria Station wallmap.
THE 7 WONDERS OF MANCHESTER: Read on for the Perfect Introduction to the City
Manchester was the first city of the industrial revolution, the city that shaped the modern world, the industrial strength city.
These are the most spectacular sights to be seen, the great treasures of the city, the 7 Wonders of Manchester, each linked with one of our tours.
THE DE-LUXE MIDLAND HOTEL TOUR
It’s what you’ve been waiting for: Ed Glinert and co. taking you or your group, club, works outfit, society … around Manchester’s most famous hotel, stamping ground of Winston Churchill, Bob Dylan, Laurence Olivier, Michael Collins, Van Morrison, Theresa May…
• Public dates: Sun 2 Apr (!SOLD OUT!), Sun 21 May (!SOLD OUT!) – all at 1.30pm.
• Meet outside the hotel on Peter Street.
• Ideal for private tours for groups of around 20 people.
Hear the history, soak in the sleek style and lounge in its luxurious locations. Then, when the tour’s over, take tea and tiffin or a tipple in the Octagon bar. What a great way of spending two hours or so!
BOOK A TALK WITH MANCHESTER’S WITTIEST PUBLIC SPEAKER: ED GLINERT
If you don’t fancy a walk, book us for a talk!
Ed Glinert is back giving talks with a monthly slot at Central Library and regular dates at Manchester Cathedral, so book him for your social club, U3A group, Probus set, National Trust outfit or local history society to give an illustrated talk on one of a huge variety of subjects:
* The Pankhursts.
* 10 Manchester Inventions That Shook the World.
* Royal Scandal Through the Ages.
* The Lonely Life of L. S. Lowry.
* Engels & Marx in Manchester.
* The Manchester Ship Canal.
* Alan Turing.
* The Fenian Hangings of 1867.
* The Secret History of Manchester.
* Manchester architecture (how the city’s main buildings stole their design from existing works).
MANCHESTER TOWN HALL DE-LUXE HISTORICAL TOUR
To book onto the Town Hall tour please click “Continue Reading” below and follow the link for the date you require.
This is because you have just about a year to be taken round Manchester Town Hall by the effortlessly entertaining guides of New Manchester Walks.
This is a journey into the historical heart of the city’s greatest building, its architecture, paintings and politics.
* The cost is £8 (Pre-Raphaelites & Murals £10) and the tour lasts two hours.
* Mon 27 Mar, 11am. !SOLD OUT!
* Tue 28 Mar, 11am (Pre-Raphaelites & Murals, starting at the Art Gallery). TICKETS LEFT
* Mon 10 April, 11am. JUST STARTED SELLING.
* Tue 11 April, 11am. JUST STARTED SELLING.
* Tue 18 April, 11am. JUST STARTED SELLING.
* Wed 19 April, 11am. JUST STARTED SELLING.
COACH TOURS: BOOK A TOUR FOR YOUR GROUP
Now is the time for your social club, U3A group, Probus outfit, student body … to book a coach tour with our effortlessly entertaining guides.
There are so many to choose from:
* The Great Treasures of Manchester
* Wild and Wuthering West Yorkshire
* L. S. Lowry’s sights and settings of Salford
* The Beatles’ Liverpool
* Chi-Chi Cheshire
* The History of Manchester United…
NEW “BACK OF HOUSE” TOWN HALL TOUR
Manchester Town Hall has introduced a new “Back of House” tour which will run on three Sundays: 5 Feb, 5 March and 2 April at 1.30pm and 3pm from the Lloyd Street entrance (although more slots might be added if there is sufficient take-up). The tour lasts an hour. Please book through eventbrite to ensure a place. Please note this is not an historical tour and has been devised by the council. all the dates are now sold out apart from Sun 2 Apr at 11.30am. Please click “Continue Reading” to find the link.
OBITUARY: RICHARD PANKHURST
News comes in of the death of Richard Pankhurst, son of Sylvia, arguably Manchester’s greatest ever citizen, who has passed away aged 89 in Ethiopia and might well be afforded a state funeral.
Here’s the piece I’ve written for the Manchester Evening News.
Richard Pankhurst, the only son of Sylvia Pankhurst, the suffragette leader who was one of Manchester’s greatest ever figures, has died aged 89 at his home in Ethiopia…
Calls have gone out to grant the late academic and political agitator a state funeral in the east African country.