Public dates, all at 1.30pm, all sold out! yes, such has been the demand to hear Ed Glinert & co. tell the real story of the hotel.
• Sun 2 Apr (!SOLD OUT!)
• Sun 21 May (!SOLD OUT!)
Meet outside the hotel on Peter Street.
• Ideal for private tours for groups of around 20 people.
Ed Glinert and co have been campaigning for eight years to be allowed to take people on detailed tours of this magnificent building and now we can what an amazing run of stories we’ve unearthed.
The Midland is Manchester’s most famous hotel, built on the site of the house from where the magistrates sent the troops into the Peterloo Massacre, and the site of the concert hall where Chopin was slow-hand-clapped.
• It’s where Rolls is believed to have met Royce.
• It’s where Churchill scoffed 16 oysters and a bottle of champagne – and that was before dinner.
• It’s where Hitler kept the bombing planes away from so that it could be the Nazis’ North-west home once they had invaded.
• It’s where George Harrison was refused admission because he wasn’t wearing a tie.
• It’s where the great and good – Derek Jacobi, Princess Anne, Martin O’Neill, Nigel Havers, Ed Miliband(!), Dave – stay when they come to Manchester.
Now hear the history, soak in the sleek style and lounge in its luxurious locations. Then, when the tour’s over, take tea and tiffin or a tipple in the Octagon bar. What a great way of spending two hours or so!