* Thu 22 March 2018.
Meet outside Manchester Art Gallery, 5.30pm.
Please book here with eventbrite.
This is the tour replacing the cancelled Pre-Raphaelite Women of the Art Galley that had been scheduled for Thu 22 March 2018. If you have a ticket for the above then this is free. For customers it’s the usual £10. Many thanks – Ed.
* Thu 7 June 2018. Meet Art Gallery. Mosley Street, 1.30pm.
* Fri 27 July 2018. Meet: Midland Hotel, Peter Street, 5.30pm.
* Elizabeth Gaskell, who wrote Mary Barton, one of the classic “condition of England” novels in 1848.
* Hannah Mitchell, who challenged Churchill at St John’s School during the Suffragette era.
* Annie Horniman, who established Britain’s first repertory theatre company.
* Shelagh Delaney who pioneered modernist theatre with her groundbreaking A Taste of Honey.
* Ellen Wilkinson – “Red Ellen” who accompanied the Jarrow miners to London.
* Kathleen Ollerenshaw, who overcame deafness to become Lord Mayor, a leading educationalist, mathematician and advisor to Margaret Thatcher (now what sort of job is that for a Mancunian?!).
* Sylvia Pankhurst, Britain’s greatest political campaigner.
These are just some of the heroic Manchester women we will be celebrating.