« Back to Events
Off to Brick Lane, London’s most exciting street – the Zoom tour
+ Google Calendar
Brick Lane is the most exciting street in London, inheriting the mantle previously worn by Chelsea’s King’s Road and Regent Street.
It’s the street with everything:
* A mad manic market
* Vintage clothes shops
* Authentically independent coffee houses
* Ever-changing street art
* The best beigel bakery in the world in what was a Jewish ghetto
* The biggest conglomeration of curry houses in London where waiters rush out to grab potential customers
* Katz’s shop at No. 92 which sold only string – kosher string, mind
* The only building in the West that has been church, synagogue and mosque
* Rough Trade records
* A grand glorious brewery chimney
* A barber tastelessly called “Jack the Clipper”
* The former home of one of the Jack the Ripper team
* A terrible history of vitriol and violence (“verily this is a land flowing with beer and blood”…don’t worry, that was in the 19th century
* Even a mention in Salman Rushdie’s notorious 1988 novel, The Satanic Verses.
Ed Glinert, author of “111 Places in the East End of London You Shouldn’t Miss”, takes you on a Zoom version of his ever-popular walking tour, from the Northern Heights in Shoreditch to the soft southern underbelly in Aldgate.