Mastercard Priceless Tours – Manchester Music City
Join Mastercard Priceless & Mojo’s Ed Glinert, the UK’s most prolific tour guide, on a magical mystery tour of Manchester’s mad marvellous magical music scene.
This tour: Sunday 2 October 2022.
Meet: Outside Central Library, St Peter’s Square, 2pm.
Booking: Please press here to book with Eventbrite.
These Manchester music tours (and Beatles’ Liverpool tours) are exclusive to Mastercard cardholders and must be booked through Eventbrite.
Forget Memphis and the Mersey, Manchester is Music City, a factory of superior song-making and stirring soundscapes courtesy of The Smiths, Joy Division, The Fall, Buzzcocks, John Cooper Clarke, Oasis, New Order, Happy Mondays and Elbow – all spinning around the legend of the Hacienda, the world’s hippest nightclub, chicer than the Copacabana, sexier than Studio 54, cooler than the Cavern or Cream.
Here are some extracts from the set list
• The Free Trade Hall, where Bob Dylan was booed and the Sex Pistols invented the modern Manchester music scene.
• The basement record shop where Morrissey had a job – yes! – for about five minutes, resulting in a depression that inspired those great lines from “Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now”.
• The Ritz, where the first Smiths gig took place.
• Tony Wilson’s pad.
• The Boardwalk, where Oasis made their debut.
• The Hacienda.
• Finishing at HOME, Manchester’s funky but chic (as David Johansen would say) arts venue, appropriately based at 2 Tony Wilson Place, opposite the Hacienda, natch.