Please book here with eventbrite.
Calling all Man Utd fans, including those coming from abroad (and supporters of any other team, of course) interested in the club’s formidable history.
We are hosting our ever-popular and endlessly-fascinating “Story of Manchester United” walking tour on the evening of Tuesday 29 May 2018, exactly 50 years since United won the European Cup. starting at the National Football Museum at 5.30pm.
What the tour entails
We will hear how:
• The world’s most famous football team (no, not Real Madrid, you turnip) began as a railway works outfit in north Manchester.
• Both Bobby Charlton and George Best arrived in Manchester at the nearby station, and how their different experiences affected their progression.
• The corrupt newspaper boss Robert Maxwell tried to buy the club, and how lucky they were he didn’t.
• The playful antics of George Best drove Matt Busby to distraction.
• United nearly never became United – Manchester Central and Manchester Celtic were the preferred choices.
• United nearly never became United, saved only by the wandering behaviour of a dog called Major.