This tour: Friday 8 May.
Meet: Central Library, St Peter’s Square.
Booking: Please press here to book with eventbrite.
Discover the little-known history of Manchester with Ed Glinert, the city’s most prolific tour guide, celebrated author (Penguin, Bloomsbury, HarperCollins, Random House, Emons), editor of Penguin Classics’ Sherlock Holmes canon and cruise ships speaker.
Perfect for tourists and visitors new to the city, but also for locals wanting to get even more acquainted with Manchester and its history.
- Find out why Central Library is built like Rome’s Pantheon.
- Hear how Rolls and Royce didn’t meet at the Midland Hotel.
- Visit the site where the violence of Peterloo occurred.
- Stand on the spot where a revolution in Manchester music occurred.
- Study the symbolism of the city’s finest stained glass.
- Meet the characters glorified on one of the greatest Pre-Raphaelite paintings.
- Marvel at the glory of the parliament of the cotton lords.
- Explore the king of Manchester streets in all its architectural glory.
- Discover the story behind the greatest new religious works of art of the 20th century.