Ancoats at Night
This tour: Friday 17 April 2020.
Meet: Band on the Wall, Swan Street, 6pm.
Booking: Please press here to book with eventbrite.
Post-Christmas blues? Unimpressed with “Dry January”? Come with us around a ’burb so achingly hip journalists from San Francisco to Sao Paulo, from St Etienne to St Helens have been beating a path to soak up the boho, NoHo, Soho, mojo atmosphere.
And how dynamic it looks at night, with the shadows phasing around the water and the lights twinkling from the old mills. Which is why we have collected a phantasmagoria of stories for you from the world’s first industrial suburb starring…
* Some of the oldest mills in the country, breathtaking monuments to Mammon and cotton from the late 18th century.
* The newspaper office where the Yorkshire Ripper story was broken.
* The world’s first aircraft manufactory.
* The picturesque marina created out of industrial spoil.
* The saved Ancoats hospital.
* The so-called Chips building.
* And the site of the motorcycle factory which went bust after the Russian Revolution.