This tour: Friday 21 January 2022
Meet: Emmeline Pankhurst Statue, St Peter’s Square, 10.45am.
Booking: Please press here to book with Eventbrite.
Join Ed Glinert, Manchester’s most prolific tour guide and author of Penguin’s legendary Manchester Compendium, on a FREE whistle-stop expert tour of the world’s great industrial city. This is a quick-fire run-down of all the great Manchester sights and sites, with all the most mesmerising and memorable stories. Here’s the route and set-list.
• Emmeline Pankhurst – celebrated suffragette and Tory candidate.
• Central Library – Why does it look like the Pantheon, of London, not Rome!
• The Midland Hotel– where Rolls and Royce did NOT meet.
• Chepstow House – the city’s most beautiful former cotton mill.
• Bridgewater Hall – should have been the Barbirolli Hall.
• The Peterloo Memorial – not the first such tribute.
• The Free Trade Hall – where Manchester pledged support for Lincoln.
• The Ralph Abercrombie pub – where Jubilee Street became Coronation Street.
• The John Rylands Library – home of the world’s oldest piece of the New Testament, but for how long?