* This tour: Wednesday 16 September 2020.
* Meet: Central Library, St Peter’s Square, 10.45am.
* Booking: Please press here to book with Eventbrite.
£10 for one.
£11 on the day.
£16.50 for two people.
This is the official, expert, entertaining introduction to the city, an in-depth, original and eye-opening tour devised by Manchester’s most prolific tour guide and energetic historian, Ed Glinert, author of Penguin’s Manchester Compendium and compiler of the Manchester Encyclopaedia.
Here’s what’s going to happen. We will start at Central Library, built to look like not only the Pantheon of Rome but the long-lost Pantheon of London. We will then take you to:
- Meet one of the most formidable women in British history.
- The hotel where Rolls didn’t meet Royce.
- The site of Britain’s most dramatic political protest.
- The building where modern Manchester music began.
- The greatest Gothic revival library in the country.
- The most spectacular new religious paintings of the 20th century.
- The parliament of the cotton lords, now one of Britain’s most celebrated theatres.
Manchester: discovered and undiscovered.