A tour of the local Catholic cathedral, a 17th century place of worship and a Waterloo church.
Salford Cathedral, also known as St John the Evangelist, was the first cruciform church to be built since the Reformation of the 1530s when it went up in the 1840s, less than 20 years since the Catholic Emancipation Act.
Sacred Trinity on Chapel Street is one of the oldest places of worship in the area but only just escaped being bulldozed when Exchange Station was built in the 1880s.
St Philip’s is a Waterloo Church, one of around a hundred new establishments conceived on the wave of euphoria that greeted Wellington’s victory over Napoleon at Waterloo in 1815, a time when the authorities feared that a godless people might become a revolutionary people.
* Local-born Sue Grimditch leads the tour.