« Back to Events
Secrets of MI5 – Zoom uncovering of the secret state
+ Google Calendar
Next talk-tour: Sun 21 January 2021, 1pm UK time.
Meet: On your computer!
It’s a nasty world out there. Spies, spooks, saboteurs, stooges and stool pigeons.
But here in MI5, the government’s intelligence wing devoted to internal security, we’re on the look-out for terrorist plots, assassinations of politicians and Trotskyite groups out to smash the system. You’ve seen Spooks? Pah, pussies! To devise this tour our guides had to break into Thames House, home of MI5, when no one was looking, photocopy all the tasty documents, make our exit without being noticed, take said intel to a secret location to learn it, remember it, eat it and then burn it.
We can however tell you what they don’t want you to know about:
• The assassination attempt on your favourite prime minister and how it was foiled.
• The chain of cold war installations stretching from London to Glasgow, built above the costly and useless atomic bunkers.
• How Harold Wilson was drive into paranoia by the bugs at No. 10 and quit in a mad rage.
• The assassination attempt on a legendary foreign secretary, suddenly called off at the last minute.
• How a king was removed from office before being crowned because he was a security risk.
…and a host of other missions; some successful, some not so.
So join the man from MI4 (one down from MI5), briefed by legendary tour guide and Penguin author Ed Glinert, to discover what the security services wished they knew.